Payroll Express, Inc.,

2389 Main Street, Glastonbury, CT 06033
Main: 860-659-5585   Fax: 860-659-1625

Why must I report new hires?
The Federal Welfare Reform Act, effective October 1, 1997, and CT General Statute 31-254(b), effective October 1, 1998, require all employers to report new hires within 20 days of the date of the hire.

Keeping Our Clients In The Know

Frequently asked questions about new hire reporting in Connecticut

The purpose of this legislation is to aid in the collection of child support from delinquent parents. The hire date is the first day compensated services are performed by an employee. This is the first day any services are performed for which the employee will be paid wages, commissions, tips, or other compensation. For services based soley on commissions, this is the first day an employee working for commissions is eligible to earn commissions.

If a company has not reported new hires, how far back in time should the company go when reporting hires for the first time?
There is no need to go back beyond 6 months. After 6 months, employee information is captured through quarterly Unemployment Insurance reporting.

What is the date of the most recent CT-W4 form, and where can I obtain copies?

The most recent CT-W4 form is the one effective January 1, 2015. The Department of Labor can fax or mail copies of the current form, which a company can duplicate and use for reporting new hires. Please call (860) 263-6310. If a company wants an original CT-W4 form, or multiple copies, these can be obtained from the Department of Revenue Services at 1-800-382-9463 (in-State) or (860) 297-5962.

An employee will only be employed temporarily. Does this employee have to be reported as a new hire?

Yes. All employees must be reported as a new hire, no matter what the anticipated length of employment may be. If a worker maintains an ongoing relationship with a company and is recalled periodically, it is not necessary to report the hire each time. If, however, the employee has not worked for the company for 60 days, then the employee should be reported as a new hire.

I hired an independent contractor. Do I report this as a new hire?
Effective October 1, 2003, Public Act 03-89 defines an independent contractor as an 'employee' and the company contracting as the 'employer'. Independent contractors whose services are valued at $5,000 or more and are not themselves registered with the Connecticut Department of Labor for unemployment insurance tax purposes or are not employees of a registered employer, are to be reported as a new hire by the company contracting their services.

Does someone under 18 or a student have to be reported? What about a household employee?
Yes. In both situations the employee must be reported as a new hire. Neither age nor occupation is a factor in the reporting of new hires.

A company is based in one state but has employees working or living in other states. To which state should the company send the new hire information?
New hires should be sent to the state where the employee is reported for unemployment insurance tax purposes.

Can a multi-state employer report all its new hires to one state?

Yes, these can be reported electronically (via FTP). For information on reporting multi-state new hires to Connecticut, please call the Connecticut Department of Labor at (860) 263-6310 or visit our New Hire Reporting FAQ page.

I received a letter from the Superior Court Support Enforcement Division and I have a question on the wage garnishment. Who should I talk to?
The phone number of the Automated Enforcement Unit should be listed on the letter you received. Please call that number. If the phone number is not on the letter, please call the Problem Resolution Unit at 1-800-228-5437.

Where can I obtain information about garnishing/withholding an employee's wages?

The Superior Court Problem Resolution Unit at 1-800-228-5437 should be able to answer questions about wage attachment/garnishment and withholding wages.


Payroll Express, Inc. assumes no liability and makes no warranties on or for the information contained on this page. The information presented is intended for reference only and is neither tax nor legal advice. Consult a professional tax, legal or other advisor to verify this information and determine if and/or how it may apply to your particular situation.